Friday, February 3, 2012

Mini-Tutorial: Add Beads to a Shirt

I just completed one of my first garments! I made a tunic from a deep purple knit. But you have to wait until next week to see it... Will the suspense kill you?

After I sewed the neckline of the shirt, I was unhappy with how it turned out, so I wanted to hide modify it a bit. I decided to add a row of beads around the neck. I was not quite sure how difficult this would be, but I headed to the craft store and found beads and a beading needle (which I promptly bent, oops) and set to work. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it is. I learned that you can add beading in essentially three steps:

Helpful tip: knot the thread through the back side of the fabric every five beads or so. That way, if the thread ever breaks, all of the beads will not fall off.

The beads are not perfectly straight, but I think that it adds character! I am going to have to beadazzle more clothes now! Check back next week to see the completed tunic.

No comments:

Post a Comment